Friday, December 2, 2011

Good Grades

A note to my readers:  I just want to thank you for reading my blog.   Last month I started this blog  and only posted for two weeks in a row and my total page views for November were 271.  Even though this might not be much for some people, I am flattered that so many people have taken the time to read.  Thanks!

Today, as I was driving, I decided to just take in some of the views around me.  I had the radio turned off as I often do, and I was just able to see the things around me.  This is probably good, considering that I was driving.  But I'm talking about actually paying attention.  None of that zombie driving stuff. And before you judge be about the zombie driving, know this:  You've done it too and I've never been in an accident where I was driving.

Side note: The only accident that I can recall being in was when my brother rear-ended my mom's van. My mom was driving and her dog and I were passengers.  Thank God that no one seriously injured, even though I wanted to deck my brother in the face, in a loving kind of way.

Getting back to the story-  One of the things that I noticed this morning was a bumper sticker that said, "My Child is a Good Citizen at Cerbat Elementary."  My first thought was that the parent in front of me should just go ahead and pat themselves on the back.  Give yourself a cookie, because your child is well behaved.  However, as it often goes, one though led to another. And then another.  And finally, another.  The following is a chronicle of the thoughts that I had while looking at this bumper sticker.

I started remembering the bumper stickers that my siblings and I brought home when we were kids.  I think most of us kids had been given more than one bumper sticker that read something like this: "My Child is on the Honor Roll at P.T. Coe Elementary School." This was a green bumper sticker with white lettering.  No matter how many my mom already had on her car, I always felt like we should just keep adding them.  It would act as a scoreboard in a sense.  But that never flew. So the extras went on bulletin boards, filing cabinets, and I think I even put one on my bike once.

Now even though the green bumper sticker with the white lettering was something to be cherished, it was pretty much a blessing from God to come home with a white bumper sticker with green lettering.  This meant that you were on the "Principal's Honor Roll" and that you had made an A+ in every subject. I'm sure that my sister, Sarah, had several of these, but I only remember ever getting one.  It was like I had won the lottery! Like the Lord's favor just shined upon me!  I'm pretty sure that I convinced my mom to add this one on her car because it was a pretty special occasion.

I don't really know if they still give out Honor Roll stickers, because I  haven't seen one lately. It got me to thinking about something else:
Has society gotten so consumed with the fact that achievements shouldn't be rewarded?  I mean, good behavior is great, but that should be expected.  It was expected of me. I would get a good whopping if I acted up in school (which happened a lot).  Why do we think that we should be rewarded for things that are normal?

My daughter is only 3 so I haven't had much experience with the public school system, but I know what's going to happen when my daughter achieves something more than what is expected of her.  I will make my own bumper sticker telling the world that my daughter went above and beyond.  Not because I'm trying to have a contest with other parents, but because I want everyone to know that I am proud of her and give her a reason to keep going.  Of course, there are more things in life than just bumper stickers, but that's just a thing I'm going to do.

This all brought me to my final thought (for now).

How many "Christians" believe that God should reward them for good behavior?  I used to be one those people that thought that just doing good things and loving God was going to be enough.  But why should we get rewards for being good citizens? Just because we go to church once a week, or sing in the choir, or help in the nursery doesn't mean we are doing what God wants for us.  Before you get upset, remember that I am speaking to myself as well.  I want to be more than just a good Christian. It's hard, but that's what I want.  Someday I would like to hear the Lord say, "Good job, Brent.  You did more for me than what everyone else expected."  Not because I want to be better than everyone else, but because I want to fulfill the calling on my life.

I woke up with a thought in my head, and wrote it down (I think I can write a song about this). As I was praying this morning, I told God that "my purpose is to declare that You are Lord."  It's more than just existing.  What's your purpose?

2 comments:

  1. Made John 17:3 come to mind.
    Enjoying your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Legit. Dude, I love this! Can I reblog this on my blog (haha the one that I actually use, I mean)? I'm glad you found this analogy. To think, you could have been listening to some good ol' Christian talk-radio and zombie driving up a storm that morning! Then this post would have never happened and what a sad thing that would have been.

    ReplyDelete